While editing an existing attribute in Web center portal, I faced the below errors. Then I tried to make some other changes and pretty much every administrative change to Portal attributes or navigation failed with the same error.
Screenshot of the error:
WC_Spaces diagnostic logs had the below errors:
[WC_Spaces2] [ERROR]  [oracle.webcenter.webcenterapp.internal.view.error.WCErrorHandlerImpl] [tid: [ACTIVE].ExecuteThread: ‘4’ for queue: ‘weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)’] [userId: areddy] [ecid: 005EitPtJMb6eLWFLz3V8A0007P8001GiV,0:3] [APP: webcenter#188.8.131.52.0] [DSID: 0000LR4BaZx2rI3Lzmg8yW1NjGDJ00001v] WCS#2016.08.25.20.11.08: Error occurred while editing the custom attribute name=bpmWorkspace and value=http://soahost/bpm/workspace. ..
Caused by: oracle.mds.core.ValidationException: MDS-01611: not saving changes in MDS session because some changes are not valid MDS-02202: Content of the metadata object “/oracle/webcenter/webcenterapp/metadata/webcenter-config.xml” is not valid. MDS-02201: type validation failure for the metadata object “/oracle/webcenter/webcenterapp/metadata/webcenter-config.xml” MDS-02203: type validation error for the metadata object “/oracle/webcenter/webcenterapp/metadata/webcenter-config.xml” at the node “webcenter(xmlns(mds_ns1=http://xmlns.oracle.com/webcenter/webcenterapp))/mds_ns1:defaultSiteTemplateId” Element defaultSiteTemplateId not expected MDS-02203: type validation error for the metadata object “/oracle/webcenter/webcenterapp/metadata/webcenter-config.xml” at the node “webcenter(xmlns(webcenter=http://xmlns.oracle.com/webcenter/webcenterapp))/webcenter:skin” Element webcenter:skin not expected
There is no good explanation on what causes the MDS corruption but the below described work around will resolve the issue
- Connect to the webcenter domain using WLST and run the below command to export the webcenter-config.xml file
*** /tmp/ar is the temporary directory where the exported files will be saved. Adjust the directory name to your needs
- Go to the temporary directory where the exported files are saved. Browse through the directory path until you find the file named webcenter-config.xml.xml
[oracle@wcphost webcenter]$ /tmp/ar/oracle/webcenter/webcenterapp/metadata/mdssys/cust/site/webcenter/webcenter-config.xml.xml
- Edit the file webcenter-config.xml.xml and deleted the elements that the error above is complaining. In my example, I had to delete the lines containing defaultSiteTemplateId and skin. Make sure to delete the complete insert statement fro the elements. Once you delete the entries, save the file
- Import the file back in to the MDS using the below WLST command
- Restart your spaces servers and go back to the portal. You should be able to perform any portal administration tasks.